Social distancing by staying at home whole day for weeks can be boring and suffocated. Do a little gardening can be soothing and fun. Particularly when the work is done, your eyes will see only beauty which very relaxing. A little gardening can be only planting or arrange a little plant indoor or semi-outdoor. Like me, I made a DIY Spring Flower Tin Can Pot For Rose Moss to grow on my balcony. It’s an easy DIY of re-purposing tin can to plant a very easy but pretty flower; Sun Rose.
What is Ross Moss?
This tiny pretty flowers are commonly known as Ross Moss with its Latin name portulaca grandiflora. It also has other famous name; like ten o’clock, Mexican rose, moss rose, Vietnam Rose, sun rose, rock rose, and moss-rose purslane. Ross mose is actually a succulent flowering plant in the family Portulacaceae; watch the leaves which have the same texture like succulent. It was originated from Argentina, southern Brazil, and Uruguay.
It’s very easy to grow that almost like a weed. Ross moss needs lots of sunshine and it only blooms in the morning and start to withered on the afternoon. It’s a low maintenance flower plant, so it’s a great flowery plants to grow along pathway or garden. It also comes in wide variation of colors and petal shapes. My moss rose that I used is a five magenta petals.
Okay, since you have introduced with Rose Moss or some of you are already very familiar with this sunny flower. Now, I can start to write about how I make the Spring flower pot from tin can.
Things To Prepared
Most of the supplies I used was came from scraps I have. So, you probably would not able to replicate my pot exactly the same. But don’t worry, you can always use your available scraps and craft supplies at home to decorate this tin can pot, just let your creativity takes control. Anyway, things I used for this tin can flower pot DIY are
- Shallow tin can (I used tuna can)
- White spray paint
- Old painted button
- Colored burlap rope
- White knitting fabric ( I got it from my scrap fabrics)
- Popsicle sticks
- Black marker
- White gelly roll pen
- Hot glue
How To Make
It’s not a difficult Spring DIY with easy supplies. Take a look at the picture and follow the tutorial.
- Get the shallow tin can and clean it. Make some holes on the bottom can. Tuna can is perfect for this re-purposing project.
- Spray paint the tin can with white color. Let it dry.
- Take your burlap and cut it an half wide of the tuna can height. Glue the cut burlap around the painted tin can.
- Use a creme colored burlap rope and tie the tin can pot around three times. Secure the rope edges with glue in the middle front. It will be covered by the button ornament.
- Take a square white knitting fabric and glue it to cover the rope’s ending.
- The painted button was an old clear button that I have painted in pink, roughly. Use the button to finish the spring flower pot.
- For the Spring Sign, use some popsicle sticks to form a rectangle sign with a stick.
- Paint the sign with black marker and write the word Spring by using white gelly roll pen. Plug the Spring Sign on the Sun Rose tin can pot. And your DIY tin can pot is ready for the flower you desired and mine is Rose Moss.
Wouldn’t you just love to see the Rose Moss blooming in the morning? Especially when you grow them in front of your windows. Beautiful sight to enjoy in this middle of Covid-19 horror. Well, a little Spring craft will add more boredom killer for staying at home and your home would look springy with flowers on the pots. Therefor, save your tin cans and be creative with it!
For creative fellow bloggers, don’t forget to join “You’re The Star” Blog Hop ! Link your inspiring posts every Monday and get a change to be featured! I’m one of the co-host of the blog hop for Creative Week and will choose the creative posts to be featured on Creative Features week. Please come and join the blog hop and I would love to see you there! Join and share the news!
Be bloom in creativity!